Skip to main content
MEA is a local, member-owned and independently operated labor organization. We have no ties to national labor unions, and no outside influences to determine how we conduct our business. Members own all of the physical assets, and our money does not leave the San Diego area. Through an elected Board of Directors, our members set policies, make rules and regulations and decide how our budget is spent.
Membership dues support the work of your Union and strengthens our collective ability to be successful during contract negotiations and in the courtroom. As a member, you are also entitled to:
- MEA’s full professional and legal representation related to any disciplinary proceeding, fact finding, performance report, probationary failure, reasonable accommodation, conflicts with supervisors, alternate work schedules, reduction in force assistance, salary and overtime disputes, long term disability appeals, special salary adjustment requests and other services performed by MEA.
- The right to vote for your representative on the MEA Board of Directors, Officers, Negotiating Team, and on any proposed labor contract. You also have the right to run for election and/or serve on the Board, Negotiation Team, or as a Steward.
- The right to serve on a Labor-Management Committee, which is where members and management meet to discuss issues impacting the department and resolve them with each side bringing ideas to the table;
- Access benefit programs specifically designed for MEA members such as supplemental tuition reimbursement and emergency loans;
- Purchase discount tickets to Legoland, Knott’s Berry Farm, the Zoo and Safari Park, movie theaters, the indoor go-cart racing track, and more.
- Access to social events like MEA night at the Padres games, Holiday Party, Children’s Party and General Membership Meeting.
Please click the PDF below to fill out an application to become a member and return to MEA via email to email@example.com or at 9620 Chesapeake Drive, Suite 203, San Diego, CA 92123.