MEA Board of Directors Election Scheduled
MEA is seeking members to run for election to the MEA Board of Directors. Newly elected Directors will take office in September 2013 for a two-year term.
MEA is a MEMBER OWNED and MEMBER OPERATED organization, and it is important that we have a high level of participation and representation on the Board of Directors so as many members as possible have a voice in running their Union.
According to MEA’s Bylaws, employees from every City Department are entitled to representation on the Board. Each department elects from one to four Board members depending on the size of the department.
MEA’s Board of Directors meets the second Wednesday of every month and discusses and makes decisions on behalf of the 4,000 City employees who MEA represents.
In the past, MEA Negotiating Teams have negotiated the ability for Board members to attend Board meetings on City release time. This means that all members may participate from every City department – no matter what work schedule and regardless of whether their management thinks that they can manage to let them off for those meetings!
While this makes it a little easier to participate in the meetings, please remember that Board members have other expected time commitments that are on their own personal time. In addition to attendance at all meetings, some activities may be after work or on an occasional Saturday.
Being elected by your co-workers to represent them on the MEA Board is an honor as well as a responsibility. Please be sure you are willing to do that job by reading the information on the following page which explains some of what MEA Board members are required to do.
If you have outside commitments that could restrain your ability to devote time to MEA – please wait to run until your circumstances have changed.
Required Duties of a Board Member
• The Board makes decisions on behalf of all MEA-represented employees Citywide.
• The Board is responsible for approving the budget and setting policy on all MEA issues as well as overseeing, via the Board’s Executive Committee, the day to day financial and operational business of MEA.
• Board members are expected to participate in functions and events that MEA sponsors on City time as well as their own personal time.
• Board members must become familiar with, and participate in MEA Committees as assigned by the MEA President. Some Committee meetings are held after work hours.
• Board members are expected to keep MEA apprised of employee problems and issues in their workplace.
• Board members are expected to maintain and update all MEA bulletin boards in their departments.
• Board members must attend monthly Board meetings. After three unexcused absences, a Board member will be removed.
Qualifications of a Board Member
• Prospective Board members must be a dues paying MEA member for at least one full year.
• Prospective Board members must be nominated by having a petition signed by at least 10 MEA MEMBERS in their department ONLY (if you are from a small department, please contact MEA for what you will need).
Tenure of a Board Member
• Each Board member will serve a two-year term beginning September 11, 2013. Board members will be sworn in on September 11th, which is the regularly scheduled MEA Board of Directors meeting for September.
If you feel you would like to have a more active voice in your Union’s business and activities, please fill out the petition and your candidate statement and submit them to MEA by 3:00pm on Monday, July 8, 2013. Candidate statements (150 word maximum) should convey why you wish to be elected and what you feel your qualifications are. No late submissions will be accepted. A department-by-department election will then be held via MEA’s website in July. Current Directors are encouraged to continue their service to MEA by seeking re-election.